Skip to main content

Cold turkey


A few years ago I gave up coffee and tea for Lent.  I was concerned that I might be addicted to coffee and this didn't seem a healthy thing.  Giving up something I loved seemed like a good way to show God I loved him.  I had a headache for two days.  The tea and coffee fast showed me that I wasn't addicted to coffee, I just really liked it.  I feel about coffee the way some people feel about chocolate - it's one of the great pleasures in life, but I can do without it.  However, I realised that I was addicted to tea.  For me, tea isn't like chocolate, it's like oxygen.  In fact, I hadn't given up tea during Lent, I'd simply switched to decaf, knowing that giving up tea altogether would be too hard.

Since then, every time Lent comes around I have thought about giving up tea and coffee again, but I just didn't have the guts.  This year, I decided I had to take the bull by the horns and do it again.  Surely I love God more than my morning cup of tea, I thought?  So, like the reckless fool I am, I stopped dead, cold turkey, switched to decaf suddenly on Ash Wednesday morning.  And now I feel really, really grim.  

I googled caffeine withdrawal today and discovered that headache is the number one symptom.  However, tiredness, irritability and even anxiety can accompany it.  That might explain why, despite taking my anxiety medication as normal yesterday, a mild faux pas I committed with a stranger went round and round my head nonstop for hours.  Yesterday, I felt like I had a mild migraine.  Today, I felt absolutely awful.  My husband was concerned.  If it's caffeine withdrawal, why don't you have some caffeine?  Firstly, because I am incredibly stubborn, and secondly, because I know that the headache will just start again afterwards unless I drink more tea.  Now, after a three-hour nap, I feel better.  

Apparently caffeine constricts the blood vessels in the brain, and when you stop drinking it, the increased blood flow causes a headache.  This is exactly what causes migraine headache, so it appears that my number one drug of choice imitates the effect of my only long-term medical problem.  There's irony for you.  After less than two days, I am realising that I need seriously to rethink my caffeine intake once Lent is over.  And, Lord, I hope the sweet fragrance of the tea and coffee I am not drinking is pleasing to you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making the best of a bad situation

This morning, instead of going to church, I put this note through all the houses on our street. Despite being an extrovert, I have a tendency toward social anxiety. Despite being an evangelist, I really hate door knocking. As I approached each door, I noticed lots of “no junk mail” stickers and felt briefly worried. One sticker said “no unaddressed mail”. Putting notes through the doors of people I’d never met - even though we live within a few dozen metres of each other - felt risky. Even worse - some people were outside their houses. I actually had to talk to them! “Don’t worry, I won’t come too close,” was my opening gambit. As someone who suffered from OCD as a young adult, fear of contaminating others is quite a familiar sensation. We Brits have the reputation of being standoffish and maybe a bit antisocial, and the virus is not helping in this regard. And yet, I live in the commuter belt; many of us on our street go off to London on trains every morning and come home late

Halloween

It's that magical time of year again - that one night when my small neighbours knock on my door asking for sweeties.  This year, I'm properly prepared: I have two pumpkins (I wanted five, but decided to be thrifty), a big tub of sweets and a tube of 100 glow sticks.  The sweets are my concession to popular demand; the glow sticks are an attempt to represent light in darkness (a symbolism which will doubtless be lost on the kids).  I'm seeing the pumpkin as my main opportunity to communicate something of my Christian faith to my neighbours. One year, while I was at theological college, Halloween fell on a Sunday.  The new housing estate church I was assigned to met in a church hall on Sunday afternoons and many of the congregation were unaccompanied children.  I googled 'Christian pumpkin carvings' and guess what - there are a lot of ideas out there, America being a country which is big on Halloween and big on Christianity too.  I decided to carve a simple fish and c

Do not fear

Photo by NeONBRAND on Unsplash     When I was 15 years old there was a particularly unpleasant murder which was splashed all over the news. The culprits were identified, given long prison sentences and, many years later, new identities upon their release. I remember watching news footage of the defendants being brought to trial in a prison van, angry crowds screaming abuse as it drove past. My mother's perspective on this was interesting. "We all have darkness inside us," she explained. "It's easier to scream at it in someone else than to face our own." Today is All Hallows' Eve: for the past week, pumpkins, skeletons, witches and ghosts have loomed at us out of shop windows, from supermarket shelves and strung up as decorations outside homes. Tonight it reaches its peak as many of us, adults and children, dress up in the things we most fear. Axe murderers, which come to mind whenever we're alone in the house and hear a creak on the stai