Skip to main content

Do not fear

Photo by NeONBRAND on Unsplash
 
 
When I was 15 years old there was a particularly unpleasant murder which was splashed all over the news. The culprits were identified, given long prison sentences and, many years later, new identities upon their release. I remember watching news footage of the defendants being brought to trial in a prison van, angry crowds screaming abuse as it drove past. My mother's perspective on this was interesting. "We all have darkness inside us," she explained. "It's easier to scream at it in someone else than to face our own."

Today is All Hallows' Eve: for the past week, pumpkins, skeletons, witches and ghosts have loomed at us out of shop windows, from supermarket shelves and strung up as decorations outside homes. Tonight it reaches its peak as many of us, adults and children, dress up in the things we most fear. Axe murderers, which come to mind whenever we're alone in the house and hear a creak on the stairs. Ghosts, because many of us sense there's a spirit world, and don't know how to make sense of it, and don't know if it's benign. Witches, once blamed for bad crops, dying animals and sick children, in an age when we had no way of explaining the many types of human suffering visited upon us. Skeletons, because above all we fear death. Devils, because we know that we are far from innocent, each containing the capacity to do evil, though most of the time we keep it locked away.

As a Christian, why am I writing about all this? Shouldn't I be condemning it, whitewashing it, telling everyone to stay home with the lights off? Well, if you have small children or elderly relatives, that might be a wise move, but as a Christian I believe that All Hallows' Eve has something important to teach me. As a Christian minister I spend my time teaching people about the God who experienced all the horrors that life could throw at him. He was screamed at by angry crowds; he suffered terrible violence; he felt abandoned by God as the dark powers, both human and spiritual, had free reign. He even experienced our worst fear: death. God identified himself with a human corpse, lying dead and decaying in a tomb for two nights and a day. So as I walk down the street and see images of death and darkness, my Lord is there with me, because he is a stranger to none of it.

But All Hallows' Eve gives way to All Hallows, and then All Souls, two feast days many Christians have forgotten about, in which we celebrate the fact that the dead body of Christ did not stay dead. He did not come back just in a spiritual sense, either: the Christian hope of resurrection rests in the fact that when Jesus' followers went to the tomb on the third day after the crucifixion they found it empty, and then they met the living, breathing, solid, human Jesus, still bearing the marks of violence in scars on his hands and feet, but transformed.

C.S. Lewis wrote, in The Screwtape Letters, that there were two equal and opposite errors into which people could fall regarding the devil. The first was to have an unhealthy interest in him; the second was to deny his existence entirely. The devil, Lewis believed, was equally happy with either option. Revelling in horror, filling our minds with scary films and frightening images, is probably not helpful for anyone. Closing our eyes and ears to all that is dark in the world and in ourselves is not healthy either. As a follower of Jesus I can face up to my own darkness and even my own death knowing that he is there with me - and has changed the grave from a dead end to a thoroughfare.

Comments

  1. Thank you Emma, a thoughtful read on All Hallows' Eve.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Making the best of a bad situation

This morning, instead of going to church, I put this note through all the houses on our street. Despite being an extrovert, I have a tendency toward social anxiety. Despite being an evangelist, I really hate door knocking. As I approached each door, I noticed lots of “no junk mail” stickers and felt briefly worried. One sticker said “no unaddressed mail”. Putting notes through the doors of people I’d never met - even though we live within a few dozen metres of each other - felt risky. Even worse - some people were outside their houses. I actually had to talk to them! “Don’t worry, I won’t come too close,” was my opening gambit. As someone who suffered from OCD as a young adult, fear of contaminating others is quite a familiar sensation. We Brits have the reputation of being standoffish and maybe a bit antisocial, and the virus is not helping in this regard. And yet, I live in the commuter belt; many of us on our street go off to London on trains every morning and come home late

Halloween

It's that magical time of year again - that one night when my small neighbours knock on my door asking for sweeties.  This year, I'm properly prepared: I have two pumpkins (I wanted five, but decided to be thrifty), a big tub of sweets and a tube of 100 glow sticks.  The sweets are my concession to popular demand; the glow sticks are an attempt to represent light in darkness (a symbolism which will doubtless be lost on the kids).  I'm seeing the pumpkin as my main opportunity to communicate something of my Christian faith to my neighbours. One year, while I was at theological college, Halloween fell on a Sunday.  The new housing estate church I was assigned to met in a church hall on Sunday afternoons and many of the congregation were unaccompanied children.  I googled 'Christian pumpkin carvings' and guess what - there are a lot of ideas out there, America being a country which is big on Halloween and big on Christianity too.  I decided to carve a simple fish and c