Skip to main content

Redeeming Halloween 2


In recent years I have become more and more intrigued by Halloween as it has become more and more prominent a phenomenon in the UK. I don’t remember Halloween being a big deal when I was little, but over the last few years trick or treating seems to have become more and more common - interestingly, among quite young children. On 31st October there are frequent rings on my door as small witches, wizards and zombies ask me for sweets, their parents usually hovering in the background. I love it.

Yes, I love Halloween, for three reasons. Firstly, I love the community atmosphere. I live in the suburbs, and suburban people are notoriously bad at getting to know their neighbours, particularly in areas like the one where I live, where a large proportion of the population are commuters. Halloween is the one day in the year when people are out on the streets knocking on their neighbours’ doors. We Brits have a tendency to social awkwardness (read Watching the English by Kate Fox if you don’t believe me); the crazy costumes are disarming and the agreed “Trick or treat?” script helps us to talk with people we don’t know. Some people argue that children shouldn’t be taught to demand chocolate from people. I think it’s a fun, rather cute new tradition, especially bearing in mind the young age of most of the trick or treaters I encounter. And actually it seems many parents have taught their children to say “Happy Halloween” instead - a Halloween blessing. In addition, most trick or treaters will only approach houses with Halloween decorations - there is a shared understanding that by putting out a Jack o’ Lantern you are signalling your participation in the festivities.

Secondly, I love the fun. I have always been rather drawn to some aspects of goth culture, although unfortunately black hair doesn’t suit me (I once tried it for two weeks. Not a good look.) As a child I adored the Tim Burton film The Nightmare Before Christmas and I’ve always rather liked skull patterned clothes. Unfortunately I once unthinkingly wore a skull hoodie to a Roman Catholic mass for the dead. That was embarrassing. In every other respect I am quite a cheerful, positive, high-energy person, drawn to bright colours and life in all its fullness. I sometimes wonder whether my fascination for gothic imagery is the shadow to my cheeriness. I am drawn to what I cannot understand. So for me Halloween is a lot of fun - a chance to be playful and dress up and eat cakes in the shape of eyeballs. Quirky fun.

I can hear my Christian friends shaking their heads in disapproval, so I will hastily add that thirdly, and most importantly, I love the message of Halloween. Last year my Halloween post quoted other Christians who had come to see Halloween as a kind of mini-Easter, facing the reality of death on All Hallow’s Eve and proclaiming the truth of resurrection on the following day - All Saints’ Day, 1st November, when traditionally Christians have remembered people who have died in faith over the past year. Christians believe that Christ has defeated the powers of darkness through his death on the cross and even overcome death itself. Halloween seems to glory in all that is dark, frightening and malevolent, and that seems a contradiction of the gospel. I respect those who hold this view, but personally I see it differently. Yes, Christ has defeated the powers of darkness, even death itself. But during our life on earth we will continue to be affected by these dark powers, and we will still die. Christians understand us to be living in an “in-between” time, the time in between Christ’s coming and his second coming; between the inauguration of the Kingdom of God and its final consummation. We ultimately have nothing to fear from the defeated enemy, but it can still hurt us deeply. When someone dies in the hope of resurrection their friends are left with a great hope, but they still dearly miss their friend. Think of Gandalf declaring to the Balrog: “You shall not pass!” in The Fellowship of the Ring. The Balrog doesn’t pass, but in its death throes it takes Gandalf with it. Ultimately and mysteriously he does not die, but comes back as Gandalf the White. In the same way, Christians die in the hope that they will rise again. Nevertheless, we can see how a defeated enemy in its death throes can still do terrible harm.

I believe Halloween gives people the opportunity to confront their deepest fears and, in doing so, to break the power of these fears. Christianity is not about skating over or ignoring the harsh realities of life to hold on to a glorious future hope. It is about hanging on to that hope won for us by Christ while staring those harsh realities in the face.

Consider this wonderful reflection by William Brodrick, courtesy of the Northumbria Community:

We have to be candles,
burning between 
hope and despair, 
faith and doubt, 
life and death, 
all the opposites.
That is the disquieting place 
where people must always find us.

And if our life means anything,
if what we are goes beyond 
the monastery walls
and does some good, 
it is that somehow, 
by being here, 
at peace, 
we help the world cope
with what it cannot understand. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making the best of a bad situation

This morning, instead of going to church, I put this note through all the houses on our street. Despite being an extrovert, I have a tendency toward social anxiety. Despite being an evangelist, I really hate door knocking. As I approached each door, I noticed lots of “no junk mail” stickers and felt briefly worried. One sticker said “no unaddressed mail”. Putting notes through the doors of people I’d never met - even though we live within a few dozen metres of each other - felt risky. Even worse - some people were outside their houses. I actually had to talk to them! “Don’t worry, I won’t come too close,” was my opening gambit. As someone who suffered from OCD as a young adult, fear of contaminating others is quite a familiar sensation. We Brits have the reputation of being standoffish and maybe a bit antisocial, and the virus is not helping in this regard. And yet, I live in the commuter belt; many of us on our street go off to London on trains every morning and come home late

Halloween

It's that magical time of year again - that one night when my small neighbours knock on my door asking for sweeties.  This year, I'm properly prepared: I have two pumpkins (I wanted five, but decided to be thrifty), a big tub of sweets and a tube of 100 glow sticks.  The sweets are my concession to popular demand; the glow sticks are an attempt to represent light in darkness (a symbolism which will doubtless be lost on the kids).  I'm seeing the pumpkin as my main opportunity to communicate something of my Christian faith to my neighbours. One year, while I was at theological college, Halloween fell on a Sunday.  The new housing estate church I was assigned to met in a church hall on Sunday afternoons and many of the congregation were unaccompanied children.  I googled 'Christian pumpkin carvings' and guess what - there are a lot of ideas out there, America being a country which is big on Halloween and big on Christianity too.  I decided to carve a simple fish and c

Do not fear

Photo by NeONBRAND on Unsplash     When I was 15 years old there was a particularly unpleasant murder which was splashed all over the news. The culprits were identified, given long prison sentences and, many years later, new identities upon their release. I remember watching news footage of the defendants being brought to trial in a prison van, angry crowds screaming abuse as it drove past. My mother's perspective on this was interesting. "We all have darkness inside us," she explained. "It's easier to scream at it in someone else than to face our own." Today is All Hallows' Eve: for the past week, pumpkins, skeletons, witches and ghosts have loomed at us out of shop windows, from supermarket shelves and strung up as decorations outside homes. Tonight it reaches its peak as many of us, adults and children, dress up in the things we most fear. Axe murderers, which come to mind whenever we're alone in the house and hear a creak on the stai