Skip to main content

The Pursuit of Happyness

The Pursuit of Happyness is a 2006 Hollywood film starring Will Smith and his son, Jaden Smith, then aged five.  Based on a true story, it chronicles a year in the life of Chris Gardner, a single dad who is down on his luck.  He is a talented salesman who has invested his life's savings in a piece of medical technology which he sells to hospitals.  Unfortunately, sales are slow and money is very, very tight.  His wife is ground down by their life of struggle, and leaves him and their young son, Chris Jr.  His landlord is hassling Chris for rent money he doesn't have, and Chris Jr.'s daycare doesn't seem to be up to much, but it's all Chris can afford.  

Then one day Chris sees a man getting out of a flashy red sports car, and asks him, jokingly, "What do you do and how do you do it?"  The man replies that he's a stockbroker.  Through much persistence, Chris manages to get himself on a shortlist of people being considered for a job training to be a stockbroker - a job which could allow him and his son the life he has dreamed of.  But, to his dismay, he learns that it's an unpaid internship.  Against the odds, and despite his precarious financial situation, Chris gets a place on the internship with 30 other men all competing for one job.  Not only that, but because he needs to collect his son from daycare, he can't stay late like all the others: he has to do a better job than them in less time in order to get the job.  

Chris's landlord finally loses patience, and Chris and his son arrive home one day to find their belongings dumped outside in plastic sacks and the locks changed.  In one of the most touching scenes in the film, they go to a women's shelter where Chris takes one of the workers aside and begs for her help to house him and his son.  She is genuinely sorry for them, but they cannot take men.  However, she directs him to a hostel for men which will take both of them if they can get there early enough to secure a good place in the queue and hence a room for the night.  And so they spend their evenings sleeping in a dormitory in a homeless shelter, while during the day Chris endeavours to secure accounts with clients worth hundreds of thousands of dollars.  One afternoon, one of Chris's bosses asks to borrow five dollars, not knowing that it is Chris's last five dollar bill, the money he needs to pay for him and his son to get the bus to the shelter on time.  They arrive late and are turned away.  In another gruelling scene, they spend the night locked in a railway station toilet, Chris comforting his son while strangers bang on the door.  The many indignities, both large and small, caused by their poverty are very hard to watch.

Finally [SPOILER ALERT], and perhaps not surprisingly given that it's a Hollywood film with an A-list cast, Chris wins the day and gets the coveted position in the stockbroking firm.  He really is an excellent salesman.  As his bosses shake his hand, they ask Chris, "Was it as easy as you made it look?"  Tears roll down his cheeks and, despite the fact that it is apparently a moment of victory, I found myself feeling desolate.  He has been through so much pain and anguish, and I wasn't ready to forget about all that and move on yet.  For me, the final victory did not eclipse the painful struggle.  It didn't feel like a happy moment.  Perhaps this was partly a recognition of the terrible cost of getting to that point; of all Chris and his son had been through.  A friend recently pointed out that the film equates happiness with financial success, which seemed to him to be a warped view.  Surely Chris could have got a sales job somewhere less glamorous and have avoided putting his child to bed in a homeless shelter?  

While I agree entirely that money doesn't make people happy, poverty certainly makes people miserable.  And of course not everyone living in poverty has the skills or the opportunities to pursue a glittering career in the stock market.  This film left me feeling very uneasy; reflecting on the privileges and opportunities I have had, and wondering about all the Chris and Chris Jr.s in the world who are sleeping in a hostel tonight.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making the best of a bad situation

This morning, instead of going to church, I put this note through all the houses on our street. Despite being an extrovert, I have a tendency toward social anxiety. Despite being an evangelist, I really hate door knocking. As I approached each door, I noticed lots of “no junk mail” stickers and felt briefly worried. One sticker said “no unaddressed mail”. Putting notes through the doors of people I’d never met - even though we live within a few dozen metres of each other - felt risky. Even worse - some people were outside their houses. I actually had to talk to them! “Don’t worry, I won’t come too close,” was my opening gambit. As someone who suffered from OCD as a young adult, fear of contaminating others is quite a familiar sensation. We Brits have the reputation of being standoffish and maybe a bit antisocial, and the virus is not helping in this regard. And yet, I live in the commuter belt; many of us on our street go off to London on trains every morning and come home late

Halloween

It's that magical time of year again - that one night when my small neighbours knock on my door asking for sweeties.  This year, I'm properly prepared: I have two pumpkins (I wanted five, but decided to be thrifty), a big tub of sweets and a tube of 100 glow sticks.  The sweets are my concession to popular demand; the glow sticks are an attempt to represent light in darkness (a symbolism which will doubtless be lost on the kids).  I'm seeing the pumpkin as my main opportunity to communicate something of my Christian faith to my neighbours. One year, while I was at theological college, Halloween fell on a Sunday.  The new housing estate church I was assigned to met in a church hall on Sunday afternoons and many of the congregation were unaccompanied children.  I googled 'Christian pumpkin carvings' and guess what - there are a lot of ideas out there, America being a country which is big on Halloween and big on Christianity too.  I decided to carve a simple fish and c

Only connect

Last year on Ash Wednesday I attended an ashing service at St Paul's Cathedral.  The service focused on confessing our sins and asking God's forgiveness.  During the service a berobed priest made the sign of the cross in ash on my forehead.  I thought this was pretty cool and refused my husband's request that I rub it off for the train journey home.  Then we ran into an old work colleague of mine and I felt rather stupid. Ash Wednesday, the first day of Lent, is all about sin and repentance - 'sackcloth and ashes' and all that.  But I wonder how many people in the UK today identify with the idea that they are sinners in need of forgiveness?  My final year dissertation at theological college focused on the dilemma of how to call to repentance people who do not think they have anything of which to repent.  I certainly didn't think of myself as a sinner when I first started exploring Christianity.  I knew I wasn't perfect, but hey, who is? I have heard sin desc