Skip to main content

How to do Lent, or silence and honey cakes

It's been a week now, and the headache has subsided.  My tea and coffee fast is going ok.  I'm not enjoying it, but that's kind of the point of fasting.  If you give something up you're not bothered about, it has little meaning.  You're also not supposed to make a big deal of it in front of others: Jesus says, if you do, you have already received your reward.  In other words, you've impressed people, but you haven't impressed God. At this point, I am hoping that God understands that when I tell the Internet about my caffeine fast I am not so much bragging as externally processing my thoughts, which is what we extroverts do, I'm afraid.

I had a very interesting conversation about Lent in the church coffee shop yesterday.  A Christian colleague explained that, rather than give something up, she chooses something she enjoys, such as cake, and puts money in a jar every time she eats it during Lent.  That way she can give the money she's put aside to a charity and hence the Lenten discipline becomes a positive act rather than a giving up.  I think this is a great idea and I might try it next year.  Lots of people have started to emphasise 'taking up' rather than 'giving up' in Lent.  It makes more sense to some people to do something positive than to deny yourself chocolate for a few weeks.  I have been remembering the wonderful film Chocolat, based on the novel by Joanne Harris, in which a domineering, emotionally repressed mayor imposes a strict Lenten fast on a whole French town.  There is to be absolutely no fun during Lent, and certainly no visits to the new chocolate shop.  This film/book presents the Lenten fast as a pointless act of life-denying religiosity.  Only repressed people deny themselves food/fun/sex (they are all bound up together in the book).

I remember a session on spirituality at college where our tutor told us a story about the 4th century desert fathers - only, I realise now that I remembered it wrong.  In my memory, two men go to the monastery and ask the desert fathers (very holy monks who devoted their whole lives to communion with God) to help them in their spiritual lives.  One of the fathers sits with one of the men in complete silence for a long time.  Afterwards, they go outside and the man sees his friend sitting in a boat with the other father eating honey cakes.  This seems rather unfair to him, but the father explains, "You needed silence; he needed honey cakes."  I am someone who has no problem at all with having fun, eating food, talking a lot and being very busy.  I have a great deal of difficulty when any of that is taken away.  I am not good at self-denial.  So while for others it may be quite appropriate for them to 'take something up for Lent', I could do with going without honey cakes for a while.  

However, when I googled this story to check the details, it was quite different from my memory.  There is only one visitor, and he observes the two desert fathers in their very different spiritualities.  One, Abba Arsenius, sits in complete silence; the other, Abba Moses, enjoys good company and conversation.  When the visitor goes to God in prayer, puzzled by these two very different approaches, he is given a vision of the two men each sitting in a boat on the river.  Abba Arsenius is sitting with the Holy Spirit in complete silence.  Abba Moses is eating honey cakes with the angels.  I remembered it as a story about how we need different things at different times, and I assumed that we would need the thing which comes less easily to us.  I was wrong, however: it is actually a story about how we all commune with God in different ways.  Now I wonder whether my struggle with any kind of discipline is perhaps something God can work with, rather than something I need always to fight against.  Nevertheless, I want to stretch myself by going without this Lent, and it will be interesting to see what happens.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making the best of a bad situation

This morning, instead of going to church, I put this note through all the houses on our street. Despite being an extrovert, I have a tendency toward social anxiety. Despite being an evangelist, I really hate door knocking. As I approached each door, I noticed lots of “no junk mail” stickers and felt briefly worried. One sticker said “no unaddressed mail”. Putting notes through the doors of people I’d never met - even though we live within a few dozen metres of each other - felt risky. Even worse - some people were outside their houses. I actually had to talk to them! “Don’t worry, I won’t come too close,” was my opening gambit. As someone who suffered from OCD as a young adult, fear of contaminating others is quite a familiar sensation. We Brits have the reputation of being standoffish and maybe a bit antisocial, and the virus is not helping in this regard. And yet, I live in the commuter belt; many of us on our street go off to London on trains every morning and come home late

Halloween

It's that magical time of year again - that one night when my small neighbours knock on my door asking for sweeties.  This year, I'm properly prepared: I have two pumpkins (I wanted five, but decided to be thrifty), a big tub of sweets and a tube of 100 glow sticks.  The sweets are my concession to popular demand; the glow sticks are an attempt to represent light in darkness (a symbolism which will doubtless be lost on the kids).  I'm seeing the pumpkin as my main opportunity to communicate something of my Christian faith to my neighbours. One year, while I was at theological college, Halloween fell on a Sunday.  The new housing estate church I was assigned to met in a church hall on Sunday afternoons and many of the congregation were unaccompanied children.  I googled 'Christian pumpkin carvings' and guess what - there are a lot of ideas out there, America being a country which is big on Halloween and big on Christianity too.  I decided to carve a simple fish and c

Do not fear

Photo by NeONBRAND on Unsplash     When I was 15 years old there was a particularly unpleasant murder which was splashed all over the news. The culprits were identified, given long prison sentences and, many years later, new identities upon their release. I remember watching news footage of the defendants being brought to trial in a prison van, angry crowds screaming abuse as it drove past. My mother's perspective on this was interesting. "We all have darkness inside us," she explained. "It's easier to scream at it in someone else than to face our own." Today is All Hallows' Eve: for the past week, pumpkins, skeletons, witches and ghosts have loomed at us out of shop windows, from supermarket shelves and strung up as decorations outside homes. Tonight it reaches its peak as many of us, adults and children, dress up in the things we most fear. Axe murderers, which come to mind whenever we're alone in the house and hear a creak on the stai