Skip to main content

Good Friday sermon

The SS hanged two Jewish men and a youth in front of the whole camp.  The men died quickly, but the death throes of the youth lasted for half an hour.  ‘Where is God?  Where is he?’ someone asked behind me.  As the youth still hung in torment in the noose after a long time, I heard the man call again, ‘Where is God now?’  And I heard a voice in myself answer: ‘Where is he?  He is here.  He is hanging there on the gallows.’

In his memoir, Night, Elie Wiesel describes his experiences in Auschwitz.  He writes:

Never shall I forget that night, the first night in camp, which has turned my life into one long night, seven times cursed and seven times sealed…
Never shall I forget those flames which consumed my faith forever.
Never shall I forget that nocturnal silence which deprived me, for all eternity, of the desire to live. Never shall I forget those moments which murdered my God and my soul and turned my dreams to dust. Never shall I forget these things, even if I am condemned to live as long as God Himself. Never.

My God, my God, why have you abandoned me?

A pregnant mother living in a war zone fears to travel in her condition, so her husband and children go on ahead.  But the fighting worsens and she makes the difficult decision to start  the long, long walk to the Lebanese border and on, to Beirut.  On the way, she realises her baby has died, but has no access to medical care.  Finally arriving in Lebanon, she falls into a depression. 

My God, my God, why have you abandoned me?

In Brussels, a father plays with his four-year-old twin daughters at the airport while his wife stands nearby.  The girls wander off and he follows them; then the building is racked by an explosion.  In all the confusion afterwards, he cannot find his wife.  Eventually he learns that she has been killed by the blast.

My God, my God, why have you abandoned me?

In the north of England, a young woman is befriended by a group of men who pay attention to her and give her presents, alcohol and other drugs.  Then they force her to do things she doesn’t want to do.  The local authorities don’t seem to notice or care.  It’s the kind of thing girls like her get up to.

My God, my God, why have you abandoned me?

A child just out of his babyhood becomes ill, and receives a terrible diagnosis.  His parents are forced to trek back and forth between their home and a London hospital, watching him undergo treatments his little body can barely stand, in the hope they will make him well.

My God, my God, why have you abandoned me?

On the surface, everything seems fine: the image she presents to the world is strong, confident and successful.  But inside, she is crumbling.  Some mornings, she can barely find the strength to get out of bed.  The drugs she takes give her a small amount of energy back, but life seems dull and joyless.  On some days, there seems little point in carrying on.

My God, my God, why have you abandoned me?

Jesus Christ has lived his life in obedience to his heavenly father.  He has healed the sick, cast out demons, even raised the dead.  He has enjoyed a close intimacy with his Father in heaven through his dedication to prayer and his sensitivity to the Holy Spirit.  Crowds have followed him, hanging on his every word; people have travelled far to ask for his healing power.  He has walked in obedience to God every step of the way and now things appear to have gone very, very wrong.

One friend betrays him
Most of the others abandon him
Only one friend remains, but he denies he even knows him.
Jesus is questioned
Beaten
Humiliated
Sentenced to death

And taken to a hill outside the city where he is nailed to a cross and left, naked and in great pain, to die in front of jeering crowds.

My God, my God, why have you abandoned me?

Jesus was human, and as a human being he was frightened, traumatised and in great pain.
He wondered where his God had gone, as perhaps we might have done in the same situation
The Son of God, apparently abandoned by God.
From him, too, God was, for a moment, hidden

Jesus came to be with us
He lived among us
He lived as one of us
He shared our joys and he shared our agonies too
Like those who suffer depression, he too felt the pain of despair when all hope was gone
Like those who are sick, he too experienced bodily suffering too great to bear
Like those who are abused, he too was abused by others for their amusement
A person treated as a thing with no rights and no feelings
He, too, experienced death
The Father experienced what it was to lose a child
Suffering and even death was taken up into the Godhead
God carried death inside him 
God took upon himself the terrible burden of sin, sorrow and brokenness of a hurting world

And because the Son of God was Godforsaken
Because on that one day he felt what it was to have everything stripped away but his pain
Because he was there in that darkness then,
he is there always
Because he was there, we can never be alone in that dark place
There is no place where God is not
As another survivor of the camps wrote, ‘There is no pit so deep that he is not deeper still’

And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow—not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love.  No power in the sky above or in the earth below—indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord. – Romans 8.38-39

The SS hanged two Jewish men and a youth in front of the whole camp.  The men died quickly, but the death throes of the youth lasted for half an hour.  ‘Where is God?  Where is he?’ someone asked behind me.  As the youth still hung in torment in the noose after a long time, I heard the man call again, ‘Where is God now?’  And I heard a voice in myself answer: ‘Where is he?  He is here.  He is hanging there on the gallows.’

God is not dead.
God died,
He inhabited death
And then he destroyed it.

And that is a story for another day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making the best of a bad situation

This morning, instead of going to church, I put this note through all the houses on our street. Despite being an extrovert, I have a tendency toward social anxiety. Despite being an evangelist, I really hate door knocking. As I approached each door, I noticed lots of “no junk mail” stickers and felt briefly worried. One sticker said “no unaddressed mail”. Putting notes through the doors of people I’d never met - even though we live within a few dozen metres of each other - felt risky. Even worse - some people were outside their houses. I actually had to talk to them! “Don’t worry, I won’t come too close,” was my opening gambit. As someone who suffered from OCD as a young adult, fear of contaminating others is quite a familiar sensation. We Brits have the reputation of being standoffish and maybe a bit antisocial, and the virus is not helping in this regard. And yet, I live in the commuter belt; many of us on our street go off to London on trains every morning and come home late

Halloween

It's that magical time of year again - that one night when my small neighbours knock on my door asking for sweeties.  This year, I'm properly prepared: I have two pumpkins (I wanted five, but decided to be thrifty), a big tub of sweets and a tube of 100 glow sticks.  The sweets are my concession to popular demand; the glow sticks are an attempt to represent light in darkness (a symbolism which will doubtless be lost on the kids).  I'm seeing the pumpkin as my main opportunity to communicate something of my Christian faith to my neighbours. One year, while I was at theological college, Halloween fell on a Sunday.  The new housing estate church I was assigned to met in a church hall on Sunday afternoons and many of the congregation were unaccompanied children.  I googled 'Christian pumpkin carvings' and guess what - there are a lot of ideas out there, America being a country which is big on Halloween and big on Christianity too.  I decided to carve a simple fish and c

Only connect

Last year on Ash Wednesday I attended an ashing service at St Paul's Cathedral.  The service focused on confessing our sins and asking God's forgiveness.  During the service a berobed priest made the sign of the cross in ash on my forehead.  I thought this was pretty cool and refused my husband's request that I rub it off for the train journey home.  Then we ran into an old work colleague of mine and I felt rather stupid. Ash Wednesday, the first day of Lent, is all about sin and repentance - 'sackcloth and ashes' and all that.  But I wonder how many people in the UK today identify with the idea that they are sinners in need of forgiveness?  My final year dissertation at theological college focused on the dilemma of how to call to repentance people who do not think they have anything of which to repent.  I certainly didn't think of myself as a sinner when I first started exploring Christianity.  I knew I wasn't perfect, but hey, who is? I have heard sin desc