Skip to main content

Review of 'The Skies I'm Under' by Rachel Wright

 

The Skies I'm Under is a wonderfully honest memoir by a mother whose much-loved eldest child is severely disabled.  I had the privilege of staying with the family a few years ago and hearing a little of their journey.  Rachel has been blogging for a couple of years now and has taken the brave step of telling much more of her story in this fascinating book, which I devoured in a couple of days.  

Rachel describes the frightening time when her first, uneventful pregnancy ended with Sammy being born in distress and spending the first few days of his life in intensive care.  Then Rachel and Tim brought him home and enjoyed the first couple of months of cuddles, nappies and sleepless nights, only to be told when Sammy was two months old that he had suffered severe brain damage and would be profoundly disabled.  It is a harrowing read and Rachel details her family's grief with poignancy and honesty.  The reader is unable to hold on to the comforting platitudes they might wish to trot out.  
 
I'm sure it will be ok in the end.  No it won't, Rachel is forced to explain to a stranger in the supermarket, he has brain damage.  
 
At least you have help from the local council.  Rachel describes the help that is given to care for Sammy overnight, after much letter-writing and many phone calls.  This help is necessary, as Sammy frequently wakes up, uncomfortable, in the night and needs to be moved, and he suffers from seizures which need to be quickly spotted and dealt with.  But she explains that she doesn't really want strangers in her family home, 'listening to her snoring' (!).  
 
In time you will come to accept the situation.  I think I had assumed that, when a child is born with a disability, their family grieves for what their child's life could have been, then accepts things and moves on.  It had not occurred to me that the grief would be always there in the background, ready to wash over Samuel's parents at unexpected times.  When other people's children learned to walk and talk, things Samuel would never do.  When their second child, Jonah, quickly overtook Samuel in his development.  When it became clear Samuel was underweight and would need to be fed with high-calorie milk directly into his tummy, as he had such trouble swallowing - another experience, eating, which he would not be able to share.  Rachel describes how she dealt with her grief at different times, sensing the presence of God in her life and never losing her faith, but not receiving any easy answers or simple comfort.  
 
Everything happens for a reason.  No it doesn't, Rachel asserts on her blog, and I agree wholeheartedly, although I have never dealt with grief like hers.  God does not play games with us.  Like Rachel and the rest of the family, God delights in Sammy, and because he loves and delights in him, he too wants the best for this little boy.
 
Tonight will be the longest night of the year.  This evening darkness will fall and the wait until morning will be the longest of the year.  And then we begin the slow creep back towards Spring, new life and hope.  Tonight is a night for staying with the darkness, accepting it, and looking forward to the hope of Spring.  Rachel's book makes for uncomfortable reading because she is so honest about the reality of the pain her family has experienced - and yet she knows that that is not the end of the story.
 
The Skies I'm Under is on sale in the Book Inn on The Broadway, Leigh on Sea, or on Amazon.  It is available as an e-book in the Kindle store.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making the best of a bad situation

This morning, instead of going to church, I put this note through all the houses on our street. Despite being an extrovert, I have a tendency toward social anxiety. Despite being an evangelist, I really hate door knocking. As I approached each door, I noticed lots of “no junk mail” stickers and felt briefly worried. One sticker said “no unaddressed mail”. Putting notes through the doors of people I’d never met - even though we live within a few dozen metres of each other - felt risky. Even worse - some people were outside their houses. I actually had to talk to them! “Don’t worry, I won’t come too close,” was my opening gambit. As someone who suffered from OCD as a young adult, fear of contaminating others is quite a familiar sensation. We Brits have the reputation of being standoffish and maybe a bit antisocial, and the virus is not helping in this regard. And yet, I live in the commuter belt; many of us on our street go off to London on trains every morning and come home late

Halloween

It's that magical time of year again - that one night when my small neighbours knock on my door asking for sweeties.  This year, I'm properly prepared: I have two pumpkins (I wanted five, but decided to be thrifty), a big tub of sweets and a tube of 100 glow sticks.  The sweets are my concession to popular demand; the glow sticks are an attempt to represent light in darkness (a symbolism which will doubtless be lost on the kids).  I'm seeing the pumpkin as my main opportunity to communicate something of my Christian faith to my neighbours. One year, while I was at theological college, Halloween fell on a Sunday.  The new housing estate church I was assigned to met in a church hall on Sunday afternoons and many of the congregation were unaccompanied children.  I googled 'Christian pumpkin carvings' and guess what - there are a lot of ideas out there, America being a country which is big on Halloween and big on Christianity too.  I decided to carve a simple fish and c

Only connect

Last year on Ash Wednesday I attended an ashing service at St Paul's Cathedral.  The service focused on confessing our sins and asking God's forgiveness.  During the service a berobed priest made the sign of the cross in ash on my forehead.  I thought this was pretty cool and refused my husband's request that I rub it off for the train journey home.  Then we ran into an old work colleague of mine and I felt rather stupid. Ash Wednesday, the first day of Lent, is all about sin and repentance - 'sackcloth and ashes' and all that.  But I wonder how many people in the UK today identify with the idea that they are sinners in need of forgiveness?  My final year dissertation at theological college focused on the dilemma of how to call to repentance people who do not think they have anything of which to repent.  I certainly didn't think of myself as a sinner when I first started exploring Christianity.  I knew I wasn't perfect, but hey, who is? I have heard sin desc