Skip to main content

Panic disorder from the inside out

A few months ago I had my first panic attack.  At least, I think that's what it was.  I used to think that mental health was precise and orderly; that when there was something out of kilter it could be categorised, labelled and dealt with.  Now I realise that it's all a bit less defined than that.  People are complicated.

I was on the Tube in London.  Lots of people dislike the Tube, I guess: it's crowded, hot and stuffy, a bit claustrophobic.  But I went to school in London from the age of eleven and rode the Tube every day.  I spent my teenage years on the Central and Piccadilly lines, going to meet my friends in Soho, enjoying child price tickets to the cinema and three courses for £5 at Dome (anyone remember Dome?).  I have taken the journey from Liverpool Street to Notting Hill Gate literally hundreds of times.  I have never been stuck underground.  I have always made it to the end of my journey completely unscathed.  So why was I standing in the all-too-familiar Tube train with dread in the pit of my stomach?

Friends have described panic attacks to me, and I always thought they were accompanied by shallow breathing, a racing heart rate and the feeling that you were having a heart attack.  These symptoms sound horrendous and I've never experienced a panic attack in this way.  But I was standing on the Tube counting the number of stops and trying to work out if I could make it to the end of my journey.  Halfway through I said to my husband "I need to get off."  So we did, walked up a lot of stairs and found ourselves outside, stranded in central London in the evening.  I needed to get to a safe place - home - quickly, and the quickest way was by Tube.  Eventually I psyched myself up and we got back on the Tube and home.  Two days later I went to my doctor and asked for help.  I now have medication which, while it doesn't take the fear away, does take the edge off it considerably, as well as putting me in a frame of mind where I'm better able to cope.

It's very frustrating to find that things which you used to do without thinking have now become so difficult.  Visits to friends are overshadowed by anxious thoughts about how I will cope on the journey there, or the journey home.  Although my usual instinct is to talk things through, I actually find it easier not to talk about my anxiety while I am going through it.  Providing a running commentary makes it worse, as it brings to the fore things I am trying to push down and ignore.  Recently I made the familiar journey along the Central line very easily on my own, blocking out thought by reading a book on my phone (I love the Kindle app) and practising deep breathing.  The reading distracted me and the breathing calmed my body a little.  I used to get very irritated by being told to breathe deeply, but it actually does help.  

Yesterday I watched Inside Out, the latest film from Disney Pixar, and loved it.  The five colourful characters in the picture represent the five emotions which govern each person - Joy, Disgust, Anger, Sadness and Fear.  Joy colours all the happy memories, goofing around with Mum and Dad, hanging out with friends and so on.  Disgust helps people avoid social embarrassment.  Fear keeps people safe by pointing out dangerous situations.  While the emotions reside within an eleven-year-old girl called Riley, the film is really about Joy and how she comes to understand why Sadness is important and has her own role to play.  I could write about this film for hours (and probably will, so watch out for upcoming blog posts!).  What I find interesting about the way this film relates to panic disorder is the notion that one emotion can come to dominate, whereas the whole range are needed in their proper place.  In Riley, Joy has dominated, insisting that all core memories be joyful and always putting a positive spin on every situation.  Joy has to learn that all the emotions have their place, including sadness, and that joy and sadness can be mixed.

Joy is very important to me too, being a particular feature of my personality type; I love to laugh loudly and to have fun often.  However, in my head, it's Fear who is out of control, overreacting to situations which are not inherently dangerous and intruding on experiences which should be joyful.  Fear has its place: we all need to have a healthy sense of fear in order to avoid being hit by cars, falling down manholes and burning ourselves while cooking.  Fear is also a natural reaction to uncertainty about the future, particularly if that future might hold things which could test our ability to cope.  Fear is important, but Fear needs to be put in his place.  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making the best of a bad situation

This morning, instead of going to church, I put this note through all the houses on our street. Despite being an extrovert, I have a tendency toward social anxiety. Despite being an evangelist, I really hate door knocking. As I approached each door, I noticed lots of “no junk mail” stickers and felt briefly worried. One sticker said “no unaddressed mail”. Putting notes through the doors of people I’d never met - even though we live within a few dozen metres of each other - felt risky. Even worse - some people were outside their houses. I actually had to talk to them! “Don’t worry, I won’t come too close,” was my opening gambit. As someone who suffered from OCD as a young adult, fear of contaminating others is quite a familiar sensation. We Brits have the reputation of being standoffish and maybe a bit antisocial, and the virus is not helping in this regard. And yet, I live in the commuter belt; many of us on our street go off to London on trains every morning and come home late

Halloween

It's that magical time of year again - that one night when my small neighbours knock on my door asking for sweeties.  This year, I'm properly prepared: I have two pumpkins (I wanted five, but decided to be thrifty), a big tub of sweets and a tube of 100 glow sticks.  The sweets are my concession to popular demand; the glow sticks are an attempt to represent light in darkness (a symbolism which will doubtless be lost on the kids).  I'm seeing the pumpkin as my main opportunity to communicate something of my Christian faith to my neighbours. One year, while I was at theological college, Halloween fell on a Sunday.  The new housing estate church I was assigned to met in a church hall on Sunday afternoons and many of the congregation were unaccompanied children.  I googled 'Christian pumpkin carvings' and guess what - there are a lot of ideas out there, America being a country which is big on Halloween and big on Christianity too.  I decided to carve a simple fish and c

Only connect

Last year on Ash Wednesday I attended an ashing service at St Paul's Cathedral.  The service focused on confessing our sins and asking God's forgiveness.  During the service a berobed priest made the sign of the cross in ash on my forehead.  I thought this was pretty cool and refused my husband's request that I rub it off for the train journey home.  Then we ran into an old work colleague of mine and I felt rather stupid. Ash Wednesday, the first day of Lent, is all about sin and repentance - 'sackcloth and ashes' and all that.  But I wonder how many people in the UK today identify with the idea that they are sinners in need of forgiveness?  My final year dissertation at theological college focused on the dilemma of how to call to repentance people who do not think they have anything of which to repent.  I certainly didn't think of myself as a sinner when I first started exploring Christianity.  I knew I wasn't perfect, but hey, who is? I have heard sin desc