Skip to main content

What is OCD?

Many of us talking about 'being a bit OCD' when we like things a certain way - pens lined up on a desk, bottles lined up on a shelf etc.  I imagine all of us at times go home to check if we've left the gas on or the back door unlocked.  I suppose all of us can have OCD moments.  But people who suffer with the disorder take it to a new level.

I can literally stand there looking at our cooker, which has a gas hob, and I can see that all the knobs are turned to zero, and while I'm looking at them I'm still wondering if they're really off.  There's a thought: "what if I left the cooker on?" and that thought brings with it anxiety: "it's really dangerous to leave the cooker on - it could start a fire."  The thought is an obsessive one - it won't go away - it just goes round and round and round your head.  So then comes the compulsion - to go downstairs and check the cooker is off.  Which you do... but it only brings temporary relief.  The anxious thought is still there, so you check again...and again...and again.  You know your fear is irrational, because you've already checked the darned cooker five times!  But the anxiety is still there, and only the compulsion relieves it.  I've never had Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), but from what I've heard it aims to interrupt this cycle and teach a different response to the anxious thought.  These days my OCD symptoms are so mild they only register when I'm having a bad day, but they can be pretty bonkers when they show up.  If I tell someone what I'm obsessing about, I sound utterly mad.  But maybe this is a good thing.  This morning I heard the first part of Stephen Fry's appearance on Desert Island Discs, and he talked about 'letting oxygen get to' his mental health struggles, so as to allow them to heal.  Sometimes when things remain inside your head they seem huge and terrifying; they can look very different when they're out in the open.  

I don't know if this is common to many or all OCD sufferers, but with me the disorder is related to an excessively heavy sense of responsibility for others.  "If I don't do this, people will get hurt," whether it be checking the cooker or the light switches before going to bed; washing my hands far too many times; or throwing ingredients away when I'm cooking for others because they might be contaminated.  (I'm not good with glass jars, because glass breaks easily, and I once read a Henning Mankell novel where a Chinese assassin uses the ancient technique of putting ground glass in someone's drink.  Clearly food manufacturers are playing fast and loose with our safety, not being sufficiently versed in Chinese assassination techniques).  It's hard work carrying the guilty sense that I could accidentally hurt the people I love with one false move.  I've sometimes reflected on the Christian themes of guilt and forgiveness and asked myself whether they help or hinder someone with OCD.  The problem, of course, is that people with OCD suffer from false guilt - they worry about things they don't need to worry about, and feel guilty for things they don't need to feel guilty for.  I think it was Bonhoeffer who said that no human being is as innocent as they think they are before God but, equally, no one is as guilty as they think they are either.  My tendency to feel responsible in ways that are, frankly, a bit crazy, probably takes my focus off the things of which I really need to repent.  Equally, I feel guilty for things I don't need to worry about, and fail to live in the knowledge that I am completely and utterly loved and forgiven.  

It was only recently that I made the connection between my particular interest in the theology of sin and my OCD.  Healthy or unhealthy?  Hard to tell!

Comments

  1. Fantastic post Emma, so many people suffer with OCD and very few have the courage to talk about it. OCD is really effective :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Making the best of a bad situation

This morning, instead of going to church, I put this note through all the houses on our street. Despite being an extrovert, I have a tendency toward social anxiety. Despite being an evangelist, I really hate door knocking. As I approached each door, I noticed lots of “no junk mail” stickers and felt briefly worried. One sticker said “no unaddressed mail”. Putting notes through the doors of people I’d never met - even though we live within a few dozen metres of each other - felt risky. Even worse - some people were outside their houses. I actually had to talk to them! “Don’t worry, I won’t come too close,” was my opening gambit. As someone who suffered from OCD as a young adult, fear of contaminating others is quite a familiar sensation. We Brits have the reputation of being standoffish and maybe a bit antisocial, and the virus is not helping in this regard. And yet, I live in the commuter belt; many of us on our street go off to London on trains every morning and come home late

Halloween

It's that magical time of year again - that one night when my small neighbours knock on my door asking for sweeties.  This year, I'm properly prepared: I have two pumpkins (I wanted five, but decided to be thrifty), a big tub of sweets and a tube of 100 glow sticks.  The sweets are my concession to popular demand; the glow sticks are an attempt to represent light in darkness (a symbolism which will doubtless be lost on the kids).  I'm seeing the pumpkin as my main opportunity to communicate something of my Christian faith to my neighbours. One year, while I was at theological college, Halloween fell on a Sunday.  The new housing estate church I was assigned to met in a church hall on Sunday afternoons and many of the congregation were unaccompanied children.  I googled 'Christian pumpkin carvings' and guess what - there are a lot of ideas out there, America being a country which is big on Halloween and big on Christianity too.  I decided to carve a simple fish and c

Only connect

Last year on Ash Wednesday I attended an ashing service at St Paul's Cathedral.  The service focused on confessing our sins and asking God's forgiveness.  During the service a berobed priest made the sign of the cross in ash on my forehead.  I thought this was pretty cool and refused my husband's request that I rub it off for the train journey home.  Then we ran into an old work colleague of mine and I felt rather stupid. Ash Wednesday, the first day of Lent, is all about sin and repentance - 'sackcloth and ashes' and all that.  But I wonder how many people in the UK today identify with the idea that they are sinners in need of forgiveness?  My final year dissertation at theological college focused on the dilemma of how to call to repentance people who do not think they have anything of which to repent.  I certainly didn't think of myself as a sinner when I first started exploring Christianity.  I knew I wasn't perfect, but hey, who is? I have heard sin desc