Skip to main content

The Bourne Identity

I'm still in the Christmas zone where it's okay to sit on the sofa, watch films and eat junk food all day.  Yesterday evening we sat down to watch one of our favourite films on the TV (even though we have the DVD and could watch it any time we wanted, and frequently do).  I saw The Bourne Identity for the first time only a couple of years ago and it became an instant favourite.  I like action films; I grew up with a brother who was better than I at wresting control of the remote.  But I'm discerning - I won't just watch anything with guns and car chases.  The Bourne trilogy combines a very strong plot, script and soundtrack with fascinating psychological elements.  While the first film is probably a fail on the aforementioned Bechdel test, I'll forgive it that because Marie is a resourceful and less than stereotypical love interest, and the second and third films have Pamela Landy, my favourite example of a strong female character who is strongly feminine.  I'll include a spoiler alert here because, even though the film is more than ten years old, it really is brilliant, so if you haven't seen it, don't read any further until you have!

Matt Damon's character is found floating unconscious in the Mediterranean by a fishing trawler.  The crew rescue him, look after him and take him back to land.  He has no memory of who he is, what he has been doing and why there are bullet wounds in his back.  All he has is a Swiss bank account number found in a small electronic device which was embedded in his hip.  He goes to the Swiss bank where he discovers thousands of euros in cash, a range of passports in different names (including 'Jason Bourne') all bearing his photograph, and a gun.  He spends the rest of the film trying to work out who he is and why people keep trying to kill him.

Despite having no memory of his identity, Bourne quickly realises he has skills which are quite out of the ordinary.  He can very quickly and efficiently disarm anyone who threatens him, and can use lethal force where necessary.  He can instinctively identify danger and is able very quickly to respond calmly to get himself out of seemingly hopeless situations.  He has an astonishing short term memory and knows that he can run flat out for half a mile without stopping.  But he doesn't know why he can do all these things.

Eventually Bourne makes contact with the people who are hunting him, who turn out to be the CIA.  He discovers that he is a CIA-trained assassin, part of an elite top secret programme designed to produce extremely tough and effective killers.  This knowledge finally triggers part of his lost memory - the events immediately leading up to his falling into the sea.  He remembers that he was sent to kill Wombosi, an exiled African dictator, on his private yacht.  Bourne remembers getting onto the boat undetected, finding Wombosi in bed and unarmed and aiming his gun at him, only to realise that Wombosi's children are in the room with him, lying beside him in bed.  Bourne flees, is shot at by Wombosi's bodyguards, and ends up in the sea.  He loses his memory, and very nearly his life, because he will not kill a man in front of his children.

Bourne (not, he finally discovers, his real name) has had a strange psychological episode where the moral ambiguity of the work he has been trained to do catches up with him and causes his mind to crash and reboot.  Although he has been trained to be utterly ruthless, it turns out that his conscience has not been trained out of him and it rebels against his training, causing him to fluff the job and to lose his memory.  (Being shot probably didn't help his recall either).  Bourne has been reborn.  He learns who he is as if becoming acquainted with a stranger, and he doesn't like the person he discovers.  So he chooses a different path.  

In a poignant scene at the end of the second film he tracks down the daughter of a couple he had killed while making it look like a murder suicide.  He offers no defence or apology to the daughter; he simply tells the young woman that her mother did not kill her father, but that he killed them, because that was his job.  He has come to find her because "if it was me, I'd want to know".  A radical repentance; a fascinating film.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making the best of a bad situation

This morning, instead of going to church, I put this note through all the houses on our street. Despite being an extrovert, I have a tendency toward social anxiety. Despite being an evangelist, I really hate door knocking. As I approached each door, I noticed lots of “no junk mail” stickers and felt briefly worried. One sticker said “no unaddressed mail”. Putting notes through the doors of people I’d never met - even though we live within a few dozen metres of each other - felt risky. Even worse - some people were outside their houses. I actually had to talk to them! “Don’t worry, I won’t come too close,” was my opening gambit. As someone who suffered from OCD as a young adult, fear of contaminating others is quite a familiar sensation. We Brits have the reputation of being standoffish and maybe a bit antisocial, and the virus is not helping in this regard. And yet, I live in the commuter belt; many of us on our street go off to London on trains every morning and come home late

Halloween

It's that magical time of year again - that one night when my small neighbours knock on my door asking for sweeties.  This year, I'm properly prepared: I have two pumpkins (I wanted five, but decided to be thrifty), a big tub of sweets and a tube of 100 glow sticks.  The sweets are my concession to popular demand; the glow sticks are an attempt to represent light in darkness (a symbolism which will doubtless be lost on the kids).  I'm seeing the pumpkin as my main opportunity to communicate something of my Christian faith to my neighbours. One year, while I was at theological college, Halloween fell on a Sunday.  The new housing estate church I was assigned to met in a church hall on Sunday afternoons and many of the congregation were unaccompanied children.  I googled 'Christian pumpkin carvings' and guess what - there are a lot of ideas out there, America being a country which is big on Halloween and big on Christianity too.  I decided to carve a simple fish and c

Only connect

Last year on Ash Wednesday I attended an ashing service at St Paul's Cathedral.  The service focused on confessing our sins and asking God's forgiveness.  During the service a berobed priest made the sign of the cross in ash on my forehead.  I thought this was pretty cool and refused my husband's request that I rub it off for the train journey home.  Then we ran into an old work colleague of mine and I felt rather stupid. Ash Wednesday, the first day of Lent, is all about sin and repentance - 'sackcloth and ashes' and all that.  But I wonder how many people in the UK today identify with the idea that they are sinners in need of forgiveness?  My final year dissertation at theological college focused on the dilemma of how to call to repentance people who do not think they have anything of which to repent.  I certainly didn't think of myself as a sinner when I first started exploring Christianity.  I knew I wasn't perfect, but hey, who is? I have heard sin desc