Skip to main content

Pure Evil


An enormous mural of George Orwell appeared on the pier in Southwold some time last year.  Orwell spent a few years living in Southwold and his nom de plume was apparently inspired by the river than runs close by.  It was only on this trip to Southwold that I discovered the name of the artist who created the mural, however - Pure Evil, aka Charles Uzzell-Edwards.  I realised I'd seen his work featured on TV. Pure Evil creates, among other things, pop art style portraits with strong eye makeup which drips down their faces, creating a sinister clown-like appearance.  In a 2013 interview in the Telegraph, he explains, referring to his street art:

I'm not really interested in being subtle.  I want to make people look; I welcome the conflict.

He tells the story of his youthful fascination with guns; of borrowing his cousins' shotgun, going out and shooting a rabbit, and then sincerely regretting this act.  The graffiti rabbits in the Southwold mural are a recurring motif in his work - in his mind, it's the rabbit's vengeance:

It symbolises retribution, and that you have to pay for your actions.

I've been thinking lately about our human fascination with the darker side of existence.  Having finished Homeland, I've been getting into House of Cards, and I've now watched the whole of the first two seasons.  (I've been tempted to get a subscription to Netflix just to get access to season 3, but my ever-sensible husband has vetoed this idea).  It has got me wondering why I enjoy the show so much, though.  Loosely based on a series of novels adapted for British TV in the 1990s, House of Cards transports the action to Washington, D.C. and charts the rise to power of Francis Underwood and his wife, Claire.  I'm no psychologist, but Francis (wonderfully portrayed by Kevin Spacey) seems to me to have all the marks of a psychopath; utterly ruthless in achieving his goals and showing no compunction at using the most brutal tactics.  He uses people then casts them aside; he lies flawlessly and almost continually; he cleverly manipulates the media, feeding them information which will serve his ends at the right time; when necessary, he even resorts to murder.  Francis apparently cares for no one but his wife, but even she seems to matter less than his lust for power.  Claire is likewise ruthless, firing large numbers of staff at the charity she heads up in order to fulfil her career goals and showing no mercy.  Very occasionally you see glimpses of a conscience; sometimes she briefly shows vulnerability; Francis never does.

Despite their relentless brutality, however, I don't want them to be found out.  In some episodes others come close to discovering the extent of Francis and Claire's crimes and revealing them to the world.  This always makes me anxious, because I want the Underwoods to prevail.  In the final episode of season 2 [SPOILER ALERT], Francis becomes President of the United States of America.  He stands in the Oval Office, hands spread on the desk, then looks at the camera with a wicked smile.  This sent shivers down my spine - I was delighted at his wickedness.  Why?  He's a psychopathic murderer with only his own interests at heart.  Why do I want him to succeed?

I wonder whether programmes like House of Cards enable us to give vent to the darker side of our human nature - the darker reaches of our subconscious that usually remain firmly hidden.  Francis does things that I would never do, and that perhaps is why he is so enjoyable to watch.  Characters like Francis Underwood enable us vicariously to express those dark, difficult emotions and angry urges which society quite rightly teaches us not to act on.  Perhaps watching House of Cards is a healthy way of dealing with the dark stuff within us.

Of course, the Bible calls this dark stuff 'sin' and teaches us that, not only should we not act on it, but we should allow the Holy Spirit to transform us from within, driving out the dark stuff and filling us up with Christ.  But there are still places in the Bible where people give vent to these difficult emotions.  Consider these verses from Psalm 59, which I once chose to read at a scripture reading competition, in my pre-Christian days, because I liked its bloodthirstiness:

Rescue me from my enemies, O God. Protect me from those who have come to destroy me... Destroy them in your anger! Wipe them out completely! Then the whole world will know that God reigns in Israel. (Psalms 59:1, 13 NLT)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making the best of a bad situation

This morning, instead of going to church, I put this note through all the houses on our street. Despite being an extrovert, I have a tendency toward social anxiety. Despite being an evangelist, I really hate door knocking. As I approached each door, I noticed lots of “no junk mail” stickers and felt briefly worried. One sticker said “no unaddressed mail”. Putting notes through the doors of people I’d never met - even though we live within a few dozen metres of each other - felt risky. Even worse - some people were outside their houses. I actually had to talk to them! “Don’t worry, I won’t come too close,” was my opening gambit. As someone who suffered from OCD as a young adult, fear of contaminating others is quite a familiar sensation. We Brits have the reputation of being standoffish and maybe a bit antisocial, and the virus is not helping in this regard. And yet, I live in the commuter belt; many of us on our street go off to London on trains every morning and come home late

Halloween

It's that magical time of year again - that one night when my small neighbours knock on my door asking for sweeties.  This year, I'm properly prepared: I have two pumpkins (I wanted five, but decided to be thrifty), a big tub of sweets and a tube of 100 glow sticks.  The sweets are my concession to popular demand; the glow sticks are an attempt to represent light in darkness (a symbolism which will doubtless be lost on the kids).  I'm seeing the pumpkin as my main opportunity to communicate something of my Christian faith to my neighbours. One year, while I was at theological college, Halloween fell on a Sunday.  The new housing estate church I was assigned to met in a church hall on Sunday afternoons and many of the congregation were unaccompanied children.  I googled 'Christian pumpkin carvings' and guess what - there are a lot of ideas out there, America being a country which is big on Halloween and big on Christianity too.  I decided to carve a simple fish and c

Only connect

Last year on Ash Wednesday I attended an ashing service at St Paul's Cathedral.  The service focused on confessing our sins and asking God's forgiveness.  During the service a berobed priest made the sign of the cross in ash on my forehead.  I thought this was pretty cool and refused my husband's request that I rub it off for the train journey home.  Then we ran into an old work colleague of mine and I felt rather stupid. Ash Wednesday, the first day of Lent, is all about sin and repentance - 'sackcloth and ashes' and all that.  But I wonder how many people in the UK today identify with the idea that they are sinners in need of forgiveness?  My final year dissertation at theological college focused on the dilemma of how to call to repentance people who do not think they have anything of which to repent.  I certainly didn't think of myself as a sinner when I first started exploring Christianity.  I knew I wasn't perfect, but hey, who is? I have heard sin desc